Monday, April 8, 2013

Thingysand enthographies

Issues that may ensue are that, clashing schedules may leave both student and teacher left without a time slot for interview, and maybe there would be no possibility for a shadowing, but I believe that neither of these shall befall me. I have talked to my teacher and she has agreed to another interview about my aspiration for towards a musical education degree; although I have yet to find someone willing to let me sit through a class to shadow.

A memory that may have had a lot of influence in me choosing my major is when I found out how much I loved to teach children while working at the daycare. It all started with a memory, something to push me into the direction, something that helped me realize that I want to teach children music.

            While working at the daycare there were a few times where my boss asked me what I could do to keep the children interested and busy while she cooked a meal for all the kids. So I would call the children into the living room and hand a few of them a guitar and the other children would go outside with the other workers and play tag or something. I remember looking at the confused faces of these children and each of them wondering what they were going to learn. As I taught them the basics of fretting a single string I could hear the buzzing of the strings from the children who were not holding the string down all the way and then you would hear a child gloat about how they did it hoping that the teacher would say good job. It must have been boring for some of the kids cause a couple were staring outside wanting to play tag but there were a few whose entire focus was put into the guitar they were holding. After a long while of teaching them something I thought they would like, a couple of the kids could play a blues riff.

            It was fun I got to play my guitar at work, I got the kids there to stop climbing on everything, but I guess what made me smile the most was when the parents came to pick up their kids and some of the kids would talk about how “I can play guitar now! Trevor showed me!” The parents were happy and in turn my boss was happy, although I still never got that raise I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment